Monday, May 31, 2010

Changing the Shared Feature Directory in SQL Server Setup

Today when I tried to install SQL Server 2008 R2 I couldn’t change the shared feature installation directory in the setup. Both the textbox and browse button were disabled restricting me to select the desired path.

After sometime I found the cause for this. It is because there were some SQL related programs already installed in my computer, because they are there the SQL setup uses the same directory to setup the rest of the programs.

If you need to relocate the install directory then simply you need to uninstall all the SQL related programs using Programs and Features and re-run the SQL Server setup. Then the browse buttons will be active enabling you to select an alternate location.

2 comments:

songs of yesterday said...

Thats great until you try and install SharePoint first which is reliant oin the SQL tools...

The PowerPivot SQL install for SQL 2008 R2 requires SharePoint to be installed but not configured! Anyone fancy a game of Catch with 22 balls Microsoft?

Anonymous said...

Thanks very nice blog!
My web site ... I have been trying to remember this for years�